1. Results of the tree-core sampling at 22 locations at OU3 indicate that PCE is not highly concentrated in the soil and shallow ground water at OU3.Detections of PCE were low (maximum of 1.01 micrograms per kilogram) in the tree-core samples at OU3 and were infrequent when compared to the results found at OU1.
2. PCE detections in ground-water samples from domestic wells, monitoring wells, and ground-water seeps were also low and below the MCL of 5 micrograms per liter. Based on these results, significant PCE contamination does not appear to be present in the bedrock aquifer below OU3.
3. Elevated concentrations of metals were detected in ground-water seeps at OU3. Antimony was detected in a ground-water seep at a concentration of 82 micrograms per liter, which is above antimony’s MCL of 6 micrograms per liter. These elevated metal concentrations are probably representative of ground water that is being impacted by leachate from wastes in the old dump.
4. Significant PCE contamination is not present in the surface water at OU3.
5. Contaminants detected at OU1 do not present an unacceptable risk to ecological receptors (animals and plant life).
6. The Feasibility Study (FS) for OU3 has identified 3 potential strategies for addressing the PCE contamination in soils and ground water at OU1.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2003, Focused remedial investigation of operable units OU1 and OU3, Riverfront Superfund Site, Franklin County, Missouri: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region VII, DW1495217301-2, Kansas City, Kansas.
Some of the following files cannot be viewed without Adobe Acrobat
Click the icon at the right to download for free.
|Historic air photographs of OU3||
OU3 1958 OU3 1979 OU3 1986
|Shallow ground-water flow and location of stream and ground-water sites in the vicinity of OU3.|
|Summary of PCE concentrations in tree-core, seep, and stream samples at OU3|
|Photograph of north face of OU3|
Return to the OU1-OU3 RI homepage
Return to the Riverfront Site homepage
U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey
Maintainer: John Schumacher and Rita Choate, Webmaster
Updated: January 13, 2005
Privacy Statement || Disclaimer || FOIA || Accessibility